Friday, May 02, 2014

Treat me: Double ginger apricot balls

I know what you're thinking: 'Please, no, not another raw energy/bliss ball recipe. Save me, please!'
While it's true that the world probably doesn't need another set of instructions on how to pulverise dried fruit and nuts into a lunchbox-friendly treat, I think this one - my latest flavour combo - is worth sharing.

Apricot And Ginger Bliss Balls

Double ginger apricot balls
Don't even think about making these with those flabby, flavourless dried apricots - you want the really tangy, chewy, intensely apricot-y ones. If you don't have crystallised ginger, the stem stuff would work well here too. And if you really want to push the boat out, try dipping these in white chocolate instead of coconut...

150g dried apricots, cut in half with scissors
150g raisins
50g crystallised ginger
50g walnuts or almonds
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp orange blossom water
60g (3/4 cup) fine desiccated coconut

Put everything except the coconut in a food processor and whiz until it forms a lump. Put the coconut in a bowl. Take teaspoonfuls of the mixture, roll into balls and then roll these in the coconut. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Makes about 20.

Have a great weekend, everyone x

10 comments:

  1. I love your balls.. keep them coming (oh god, this is filthy....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ingredients - great flavors - lovely!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! I'm yet to jump on the bliss ball band wagon, but I reckon these could get me there. I adore really good Otago dried apricots, and I'm loving the flavourings of cardamom and orange flower water here. Hope you've had a great weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, they are so good. I'm not sure they're as good for you as some bliss ball devotees like to claim, but they are a better pick-me-up than a chocolate bar. And yes, Otago apricots are amazing. Why do they even bother to import those flabby Turkish ones?

      Delete
  4. I'm completely with you on the need for super fresh, super tasty dried fruit in these balls. Any shrivelled, leftover, out of date simply won't do. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shrivelled balls? Have you been hanging out with Mr Belleau Kitchen?!

      Delete
  5. Oops press publish before ready... As you might be able to tel,, I made that mistake once. Never again! Lovely combination of flavours Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made me laugh as I was going to post my first ever attempt at energy balls - think I might push these back for a wee while now :) I like to see all the variations. Your use of orange blossom water intrigues. I used orange zest and juice in mine but will try the obw next time. Great to freeze and pop in a zip bag to take to work too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on, there's room for another one! I hadn't thought of freezing them (they get eaten too quickly in our house), but that's a great idea.

      Delete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...