Monday, January 09, 2017

Resolutions, chocolate smoothies and books

How are those New Year resolutions going? Fallen off the wagon yet? Evidence suggests that most people do, especially if their resolutions are all about depriving themselves of the things they love. Far better, I think, to have a positive goal in mind than kick off a new year with a focus on deprivation. The best New Year resolution I've seen or heard is from Alessandra Zecchini, who has vowed 'to eat chocolate and try new things'.

I'm planning to adopt that one, along with growing more vegetables, planting a lime tree and buying some more wineglasses (we had a smashing good time over the festive period). Small goals, maybe, but still valid ones. When I look back to this time last year it turns out that I achieved all the things I planned to do (and ran a marathon), despite feeling like I never got around to doing very much. So perhaps the real resolution is to expect less of yourself (and be pleasantly surprised by the results). In the meantime, I'm trying to maintain a positive frame of mind about returning to my day job tomorrow. Gulp. How am I going to cope without a slab of Christmas cake for morning tea and an snooze after lunch?

Easy Chocolate Smoothie With Almond Milk And Tahini

Back to work smoothie
Here's my recipe for a quick summer breakfast that a) feels like a treat and b) will keep you going until lunchtime. This is a good way to use up your stash of frozen bananas, but the rapidly ripening ones in the fruit bowl will also work well. I prefer almond milk in smoothies, but use whatever you like. I also think the banana makes it sweet enough, but add a little honey if you need an extra boost.

1 banana, sliced
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp tahini (or peanut butter)
1 Tbsp ground LSA or almonds
3/4 cup almond milk

Throw all the ingredients in a blender and whizz until smooth. Pour into a glass and drink immediately. Serves one.

If you're resolving to make some bigger changes to the way you eat in 2017, you might be keen on two new books full of advice and recipes.


YouTube sensation Niomi Smart's first book, Eat Smart: What To Eat In A Day, Every Day (HarperCollins, RRP $45), has more than 100 plant-based recipes that use everyday ingredients. I'm not about to follow her lead and give up all meat, dairy products, fish and eggs overnight, but there are some nice ideas here.


Closer to home, Australian model, mother, dancer and TV host Rachael Finch has also got a new book out and she's an equally compelling poster girl for the wholesome lifestyle. Her book, Happy Healthy Strong (HarperCollins, RRP$40), mixes mostly plant-based recipes with exercise tips and general wellbeing advice (don't let that bit put you off, the recipes are lovely).

I'm ever hopeful of having more time to spend on The Kitchenmaid this year (I should really take some of Rachael's advice on goal setting), but in the meantime, keep an eye on my Facebook page as I'll be giving away these books in the next week.

Hope you've had a great start to 2017 x

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you Lucy.
    I don't keep resolutions for the reasons you have explained and I like 'expect less of yourself and be pleasantly surprised by the results'. Good luck with the day job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope 2017 brings you lots of good things x

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year lucy - and all the best for 2017 - hope you were all the better at work for this smoothie - looks most delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Happy New Year to you too. The smoothie was so good I had another one today... not sure it makes going to work any easier but I have to try! Hope 2017 is a great one for you and yours x

      Delete
  3. Happy new year. Chocolate smoothie at the start of a day sounds like an excellent notion. I'd better wait until summer, though. I'm craving hot tea right now. I'm really impressed that you achieved your resolutions but you're right not to expect too much of yourself. I expected nothing at all of myself last year and I still failed to get there. By the way, looking back to last year's post reminded me that I still haven't recovered that CD from down the back of my desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Phil. I wondered about that CD too (is it bad to admit I didn't expect that you'd retrieve it either?!)

      Delete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...